Saturday, January 31, 2009

A chance meeting...

In the summer of 2008, I flew up to Minneapolis to see the "Design for the other 90%" exhibit at the Walker Art Center. I spent the day looking at projects that focused on helping the 4 billion people at the "base of the pyramid" and at the reception that evening, stumbled into a conversation with a very friendly woman about Compatible Technology International, the local non profit she worked with. When I explained where I worked (big R&D company) and what I was trying to do (start a socially responsible design initiative) she invited me to visit CTI's offices the next morning and meet the great people who work there.
The next morning, I had the pleasure of meeting the folks at CTI, and learning about all the projects they have ongoing around the globe.


Here I was, a total stranger who took it upon himself to find a way to get to Minneapolis just to see the show at the Walker. One person with access to thousands of expert designer and engineers, looking for a "pilot" project to
test out an idea.

Here they were, a small but passionate non-profit, looking for ways to get their ideas "commercialized"...


Chance meeting?

...I dont think so...


No comments:

Post a Comment